The increase in version number is proposed due to the sheer volume of work which makes Shiretoko feel like much more than a small, incremental improvement over Firefox 3: TraceMonkey,video tag and player support, improvements to user controls over data privacy, significant improvements in the web layout and rendering platform, and much more.
Under this proposal:
- Shiretoko would be released as Firefox 3.5,
- the upcoming third beta release would still carry the 3.1b3 version numbering,
- the following foruth beta will be numbered Firefox 3.5b4,
- “Minefield” builds from the trunk mozilla-central repository will be renumbered to 3.6a1pre until further notice - we will need to consider and decide on a version number for that release at a future date,
- the Gecko version numbering will not change, remain 1.9.1 on the mozilla-1.9.1 branch and 1.9.2 on the mozilla-central repository for the forseeable future.
Bugs will be filed to ensure that systems like addons.mozilla.org, bugzilla.mozilla.org, tinderbox.mozilla.org, crash-stats.mozilla.com will continue to work with minimal disruption, and we will co-ordinate with those systems’ administrators to co-ordinate the work.Source: MDC